[daip] AIPS binary installion: No MSGSERV and TEKSERV

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Jan 1 16:53:28 EST 2007

Poonam Chandra writes:
 > Dear AIPS HelpDesk,
 > 	I did install the binary version of AIPS and I could install
 > without problem. However, when I start AIPS, TV comes properly but TEKSRV
 > and MSGSRV shows up for a fraction of a second and then disappear. I don't
 > get any error message too. This is what I get:
 > ----
 > ?XASERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSERV on localhost
 > TVSERVER: Starting AIPS TV locking, Inet domain
 > XASERVERS: Start XAS on localhost, DISPLAY :0
 > XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
 > XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
 > XAS: Using screen width height 1270 700, max grey level 255
 > XASERVERS: Start graphics server TEKSRV on localhost, DISPLAY :0
 > XASERVERS: Start message server MSGSRV on localhost, DISPLAY :0
 > ----
 >
 > I was reading AIPS Manager FAQ and I realised that this is a common
 > problem in binary installation. However, I have proper entries in
 > /etc/services to give port numbers etc. Can you please help me?

The first thing to do is to try a MNJ ($HOME/do_daily.??? where ?? is
the name of your computer or localhost).  I made a change to the
scripts that start the 2 servers which attempts to put the necessary
$LD_LIBRARY_PATH in place for the server programs.  The MNJ will
change $SYSUNIX/XASERVERS and UNIXSERVERS which should then work.

If they do not - copy XASERVERS to $SYSLOCAL and try editing.  There
is a line for each server that is commented out adding a -hold.
Remove the comment symbol (#) and the window will stay there long
enough to read what it says which will certainly help in debugging.

People running binary aips may need to put a source
$AIPS_ROOT/LOGIN.CSH (or . $AIPS_ROOT/LOGIN.SH for bash) in their
.cshrc (.tcshrc or .bashrc as appropriate) login files to get the path
to be known for a new xterm.  But this fix in the MNJ, if it is legal
on your machine, should solve the issue without this change.