[daip] FILLM gain problems

Ken Sowinski ksowinsk at nrao.edu
Thu Feb 22 19:47:26 EST 2007

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007, Eric Greisen wrote:

> The current FILLM assumes that all correlators are either scaled by
> the nominal sensitivity or are not scaled whatsoever.  At Q band it
> turned out that the EVLA antennas were "not scaled" according to the
> format but actually scaled by a nominal (fixed) nominal sensitivity
> and the amplitudes were perfectly reasonable.  This is disturbing and
> suggests that 1 antenna is odd - so neither all EVLA or all VLA
> antennas.  Nonetheless, there should not be a problem with VLA only at
> L band and I and other testers will need to see what is bothering
> you.

As Eric says this is indeed odd.  I examined the L band system file
and find that the T_sys correction is enabled for all antennas.  It
is exercising this switch that triggers the message that Eric describes.
We will have to find out which antenna it is complaining about, and
then, why.  It is conceivable, but unlikely, that this bit is erroneously
set in the archive record.

Was it not really L band?  I do find that the T_sys correction is
disabled for antenna 26 at K band.  Can FILLM be told to ignore
antenna 26?

Ken