[daip] Hard link failed > fixed

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Feb 12 11:14:40 EST 2007

José Manuel Pont Sarmiento writes:
Please use daip at nrao.edu - the messages will go to the full list
including a systems expert.  Your problems are bizarre systems
problems.

 > I fixed the error forcing a soft link instead of a hard one and it worked.

    Hard links should work.  If you have privilege to create a link
and the file does not already exist (bith implied by the successful
soft link) then there should be nothing wrong with a hard link.

 > But I have another problem...
 >
 > LOCALH> INDXR1: Task INDXR  (release of 31DEC07) begins
 > LOCALH> INDXR1: Creating CL table with version number 1
 > LOCALH> INDXR1: ZRENAM: DA01:SCD002002.0R8;      DA01:NXD002001.0R8;
 > IERR=
 > LOCALH>           7
 > LOCALH> INDXR1: ZERROR: ON FILE DA01:SCD002002.0R8;
 > LOCALH> INDXR1: ZERROR: IN ZRENA2 ERRNO = 45 (Operation not supported)

Again - bizarre system trouble.  How can a rename operation be "not
supported" unless you lack write privilege (but you created the SC
file) or the file NXD002001.0R8\; already exists.  Look in your data
area for ??D002* and see if there is already an NX file.

 > LOCALH> INDXR1: OTBSRT: ERROR    7 ERROR RENAMING SCR TABLE TO OUTPUT
 > LOCALH> INDXR1: TABSRT: OTBSRT ERROR   7
 > LOCALH> INDXR1: PROBLEM SORTING TABLE OBJECT: NX table
 > LOCALH> INDXR1: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes
 > LOCALH> INDXR1: localhost    31DEC07 TST: Cpu=       7.9  Real=       9
 >
 > A new problem every day...
 >
 > I'm really sorried to writing you for this...

These are mysterious errors and you should ask for help, but I am
short of ideas about what is wrong with your system.  INDXR works so
well everywhere that I did not even know that it does a rename.