[daip] Another technical detail

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri Feb 2 14:52:08 EST 2007

Elias Brinks writes:

 > I hav a minor problem which you might have seen before.
 > After installing AIPS on an Intel Mac of one of my students,
 > the TV (XAS) doesn't come up.
 >
 > It says .../AIPS/31DEC07/SYSTEM/UNIX/XASERVERS line 210
 > .XAS permission denied

    This says that there is a file called XAS that is not executable
which I find very strange in any case.
cd $AIPS_ROOT
. LOGIN.SH    (or source LOGIN.CSH for tcsh shell)
cd $LOAD
ls -laF XAS*

If that seems strange or you are having trouble running aips itself
look at the rest of the contents of $LOAD.  A fix would be to blow
away the files names XAS* and run a MNJ which should do an rsync on
$LOAD.

 > Any idea what we forgot to check/run? We did add the lines
 > in the /etc/services file, as required.
 >
 > Now, the first time this student ran install, he forgot to
 > specify install -n

Did he get to the compiling and actually compile stuff?