[daip] need ot check agianon data areas

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Dec 6 16:39:19 EST 2007

Pat Palmer writes:

 > You sent me an explanation of translating Solaris data areas to LInux
 > ones.  I think I understand that.  If I have removed all data from
 > some of the Solaris ones, can I drop them?  That is make fewer area in
 > Linux as long as I don't have any data to transfer.
 >
 > Since the easiest thing to do is to copy all of my aips onto the new
 > machine, I will have my current (and new and old versions as well) of
 > the AIPS distribution -- which will no longer work.  Should I get rid
 > of them first, or if I get and install the LInux version, will everything
 > take care of itself?

The above description leads me to be confused.

My suggestion:

Install 31DEC08 (now available) on the linux machine.

Edit the DADEVS to define the number of data areas you now actually
use in Solaris (not counting empty ones).  Copy the data from disk 1
of solaris to disk 1 of Linux.  Copy the other data areas each to
separate Linux areas but solaris disk 2 could be linux disk 3 if you
want.  Only disk 1 is different in that it holds message, save/get etc
files.  (Nothing in the file content defines which disk number it is
on.)

Then (outside of aips and before running aips)

RUN REBYTE