[daip] AIPS on 64-bit LINUX (FC6)

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Aug 28 10:23:54 EDT 2007

Leonardo Testi writes:
 > Hi,
 >     we are trying to check whether AIPS can be installed on a new
 > multi processor 64-bit machine running Fedora Core 6.
 >
 > I am running into some problems with the installation/compilation and
 > was wondering whether you have some tips.
 >
 > - I tried the binary installation, but this fails (not surprising
 > perhaps)
 >    (If you think it may be useful I can send you more details)

     Details would be significant.  If I understand correctly, 64-bit
simply means that address pointers are 64 bits.  We already run on
such machines with both the standard load modules available to binary6
installations and ones compiled specifically for the 64-bit machine.
The former out perform the latter since Intel compilers are more
agressive than GNU compilers in their optimizations.

 > - I tried to compile from scratch using the install.pl script and the
 > 31DEC07.tar.gz
 >    We have installed the following compilers:
 >    gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 20070626 (Red Hat 4.1.2-13)
 >    gcc34 (GCC) 3.4.6 20060404 (Red Hat 3.4.6-4)

The former has not been tested (yet) by us - earlier 4.x did not work
at all with the compiler itself failing,  3.4.6 is what we used on the
AMD 64-bit machine for local compile and what I use on my ordinary
Linux box.

 >    I tried both of them and the error I have is the same.
 >    The compilation proceeds up to a point when INSTEP2 crashes
 >
 >     There is a relatively lomng list of modules that do not compile.
 >     The errors that I got from INSTEP2 are something like:
 >
 > /home/ltesti/AIPS/31DEC07/LINUX/PREP/ZWINC2.c: In function â:
 > /home/ltesti/AIPS/31DEC07/LINUX/PREP/ZWINC2.c:51: error: storage size
 > of â isnât known
 > /home/ltesti/AIPS/31DEC07/LINUX/PREP/ZWINC2.c:53: error: â undeclared
 > (first use in this function)
 > /home/ltesti/AIPS/31DEC07/LINUX/PREP/ZWINC2.c:53: error: (Each
 > undeclared identifier is reported only once
 > /home/ltesti/AIPS/31DEC07/LINUX/PREP/ZWINC2.c:53: error: for each
 > function it appears in.)
 > /home/ltesti/AIPS/31DEC07/LINUX/PREP/ZWINC2.c:53: error: invalid
 > application of â to incomplete type â

These are bizarre errors having to do with your compiler and computer.
A variable name that cannot even be printed in the basic ascii is not
something that appears in AIPS code.  It must be coming from some
bizarre /usr/include files - you will have to persue this.

Eric Greisen