[daip] Starting fresh with AIPS

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Aug 20 17:29:14 EDT 2007

Megan Krejny writes:

 > My name is Megan Krejny; we met back in mid-December--you were kind
 > enough to install AIPS on my Mac PowerBook.
 >
 > After a busy year filled with other projects, I finally have the time to
 > start data analysis.  Unfortunately, now that almost eight months have
 > passed, I remember little and I am having trouble understanding my notes.
 >
 > I was wondering if you could assist me with some basic questions to
 > hopefully get me on my way.  If there is online documentation that answers
 > any of these questions, I would appreciate it if you could push me in the
 > right direction.
 >
 > First, I thought that to start aips I simply typed "aips" (or "./aips") in
 > my /aips directory.  However, it seems that I have to type "./START_AIPS"
 > instead.  (This opens up the three windows:  teksrv, msgsrv, tv.)  Is this
 > okay?  It does not open up ttydev.

        What one should do is

source /aips/LOGIN.CSH           or for bash shells
. /aips/LOGIN.SH                 note the dot

This will establish some logicals and the "aips" will start aips.  I
usually put this in my .tcshrc, .bashrc, or whichever rc files starts
your shell.

The xterm for aips is the one in which you type aips  (or
./START_AIPS).  The others are daemon processes to display task
messages, TEK plots, and TV functions.

 > Also, do I need to download an updated patch?  (ie, is my 31DEC07 patch
 > up to date?)

You should run the MNJ (by hand not cron).  It is the proc named
do_daily.localhost in your home area.

 > I have something in my notes reading that I need to type "LOGIN.SH".  Do
 > I?  What does it do?  When I type the command, I am denied permission.

I addressed tghis above - it depends on what your shell is and you
either source (CSH) or . (a period) the SH one.  You do not execute
them directly.  This sets up logicals in a better way than doing
START_AIPS directly although the latter will work.

 > I typed my old user # from when I was at the AOC.  Is this okay?  Also,
 > how/where do I get my password to access the data that the VLA took for
 > me?  I looked in old emails and did not see it anywhere.

You can use any numbers you want > 1 on your machine.  What password?
The password for recent data from the archives can be obtained from
the analysts at the AOC.  You should not have a password inside aips
unless you entered one.

 > I apologize; that's a lot of questions!  Any help you can give would be a
 > huge help.  Thanks so much.
 >
 > --Megan Krejny
 >
 > PS--I am running aips from an xterm (X11) window on my Mac.

That is correct.