[daip] aips 31DEC07 "tv=" questions

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Aug 15 10:49:26 EDT 2007

Joe Cammisa writes:

 > so, now that i have the new rhel5 box configured, aips 31DEC07 installed,
 > the data moved over (thanks for your input on these tasks, btw), and
 > various firewall rules tweaked such that the server can display on the
 > xterms, i find that when i invoke aips with the "tv=local:0" argument,
 > while the tv appears to start normally, tasks that use it invariably fail
 > with messages such as these:
 > SELENE> TVFLG1: ZSSSLK: ERROR   1 ON LOCK
 > SELENE> TVFLG1: ON LOCK ERROR    6 FROM ZSSSLK
 > SELENE> TVFLG1: YTVOPN: TV LOCK OPEN ERROR      6
 > SELENE> TVFLG1: TV OPEN ERROR      6
 > SELENE> TVFLG1: CANNOT OPEN THE TV DEVICE: ERROR    6
 > SELENE> TVFLG1: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes

   This says that the socket or connect call to TVSRVn has failed
which suggests that TVSRVn is not running (n = 1,2,3,4,...).  It is a
usually silent TV lock daemon.  Go back to the startup messages and
see if it started okay and then do a ps from another window to see
what is happening on the system.  Check the socket files in /tmp as
well.

 > while trying to make some sense of this, i notice that on the console, if
 > i do START_AIPS without any tv arguments, all is well and no such errors
 > occur; unfortunately, such an approach fails on the xterm--START_AIPS is
 > unwilling to start a tv, eg,
 > START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called

   Not e choice of words here - "workstation" = computer capable of
running AIPS, particularly XAS, TVSERV, MSGSRV, etc.  Your smart
xterms are not capable of this and so tv=local is really all that will
work for you.  You could try the tv=sserv:sserv where sserv is the
server name but this would start the only Inet TV allowed on sserv
with a tunal of $DISPLAY on your xterm device - worth trying perhaps
for debugging but not in production.