[daip] RE : Installing AIPS on a Mac Intel

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Aug 6 17:43:27 EDT 2007

JETHA Nazirah writes:
 > > Did you do anything to fix the "permission denied" problem?
 >
 > I did nothing at all for that...

Then why did it go away?  It seems as if each e-mail from you contains
a different failure which does not make much sense to me.  Computers
are deterministic (absent of hardware faults) and should do the same
thing each time.

 > > Try
 > > cd $AIPS_ROOT
 > > source LOGIN.CSH    (or . LOGIN.SH  for bash)
 > > $CDTST
 > > cd $LOAD
 > >./XAS
 >
 > > That should not work fully but I am curious what is going on.
 >
 > Unfortunately, it doesn't

   What did happen?

.  I start aips in the normal way having done what you describe above , and still get no tvsrv.  If I type tvini, I get this:

     Nothing I described above should have changed anything.  I was
looking for some diagnostic I could get my hands on.

 > ZSSSL2: sapmcf117: UNKNOWN HOST
 > AIPS 1: ZSSSLK: ERROR   2 ON LOCK
 > AIPS 1: ON LOCK ERROR    6 FROM ZSSSLK
 > AIPS 1: YTVOPN: TV LOCK OPEN ERROR      6
 > AIPS 1: TV OPEN ERROR      6
 >
 > Which has confused me thoroughly, a I *know* I set sapmcf117 as the host...

The gethostbyname function does not recognize the name of your
machine which suggests that the name server for internet functions is
not fully configured.

The error message you sent last time comes after this call I believe
so your system knew itself previously and does not now.  Were you
disconnected from the internet?

Try

          aips tv=local

This does not use Inet sockets but Unix ones which are local to your
machine.  I do not know if this will change something but it seems
that things change with each e-mail so why not.

Eric Greisen