[daip] aips tv display on MAC OS

Sarah Ragan seragan at umich.edu
Wed Aug 1 18:30:47 EDT 2007

Hello,

I'm running AIPS on a MAC OS (Tiger), and I'm having trouble getting
the tv display to work.  I am working on the console of the machine
on which AIPS is installed, gondor in this case (i.e. it's not a
remote host issue!).  I'm using X11 terminal windows.

As I recall, on the LINUX machine I used at the AOC, the tv window
would start along with the AIPS_MSGSRV and AIPS_TEKSRV.

Below are the messages I get when starting AIPS, which differ
slightly from those in the cookbook on the lines I indicate with **

----
START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called gondor
** START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on gondor **asynchronously**
** START_AIPS:  - with Internet Sockets...
** START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on GONDOR asynchronously...
Starting up 31DEC07 AIPS with normal priority
Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC07) at priority =   0
AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   1
AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   1
AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
** ?XASERVERS: TVSERV is already running on host gondor, user seragan
XASERVERS: Start XAS on gondor, DISPLAY :0
XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
XAS: Using screen width height 1270 924, max grey level 255
** Shared memory id failure: Invalid argument
XASERVERS: Start graphics server TEKSRV on gondor, DISPLAY :0
XASERVERS: Start message server MSGSRV on gondor, DISPLAY :0
----
... and I'm missing lines such as...
XASERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSERV on gondor
TVSERVER: Starting AIPS TV locking, Inet domain
...as mentioned in the cookboook.

I have tried the options indicated for the tv keyword with no success
so far.  I was wondering this was a problem that had been encountered
before, or if I could be pointed in a useful direction!

Thanks so much!
Sarah Ragan
seragan at umich.edu