[daip] question about SN table from CALIB

Tony Wong wongt at astro.uiuc.edu
Wed Apr 11 19:20:23 EDT 2007

Hello,

My student and I are reducing some data from the VLA archive, taken around
1986.  We find that when running CALIB with the following inputs:

    inname 'N891-C'
    inclass 'CH 0'
    inseq 1
    calsour '3C84',''
    refant 16
    weightit 1
    solmode 'A&P'
    cparm(5) 1
    snver 1

followed by LISTR with optype 'gain', that the gain table has several
entries for the source (N891) in addition to the calibrator.  However, not
every source observation has an entry (see attached log).  We find this
puzzling.  After a GETJY (with sources='3c84', calsour='3c286') to scale the
gains on 3C84 by the right factor, the gains on N891 remain unscaled, as is
obvious from doing an SNPLT.  It's not clear that our calibration has been
adversely affected, but we wanted to make sure this is expected behavior.

Thanks for your help!

--
Tony Wong
Assistant Professor