[daip] tv wont start

Mike Bell mrbell at brandeis.edu
Mon Apr 2 14:12:56 EDT 2007

i have recently installed aips on my laptop using the binary installation
method.  after working out various problems i was finally able to get it
running, but now i can't get the tv to start.  the tksrv and mssrv start
fine.  i have made sure that i am running in 24 bit color mode.  i am
running on ubuntu 6.10.  any advice?

shown below is what aips spits out when i login.

also, how can i get around having to type in . ./login.sh every time i
restart my pc?  if i don't type that i get a command unknown error when i
try to start aips using 'aips tv=local'.

thanks

mike

mrbell at mygalaxy:~/aips$ aips tv=local
START_AIPS: Will use or start first available Unix Socket based TV
START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the
START_AIPS:  - system name , AIPS type

START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
  (Using global default file /home/mrbell/aips/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for
DADEVS.PL)
   Disk 1 (1) is /home/mrbell/aips/DATA/LOCALHOST_1

Tape assignments:
   Tape 1 is REMOTE
   Tape 2 is REMOTE

START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called localhost
START_AIPS:  - but have chosen to run the TV locally on LOCALHOST
START_AIPS: Starting TV servers on localhost asynchronously
START_AIPS:  - WITH Unix Sockets as requested...
START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on LOCALHOST asynchronously...
Starting up 31DEC07 AIPS with normal priority
UNIXSERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSRV1 on localhost
STARTPMON: [LOCALHOST] Starting TPMON1 with output SUPPRESSED
Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 31DEC07) at priority =   0
UNIXSERVERS: Start XAS1 on localhost, DISPLAY :0.0
/home/mrbell/aips/31DEC07/SYSTEM/UNIX/UNIXSERVERS: 266: ./XAS1: Permission
denied
UNIXSERVERS: Start graphics server TKSRV1 on localhost, display :0.0
UNIXSERVERS: Start message server MSSRV1 on localhost, display :0.0
AIPS 1: You are not on a local TV device, welcome stranger
AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   7
AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   7
TVSERVER: Starting AIPS TV locking, Unix (local) domain
AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
?