[daip] question about FLAGR

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri Sep 29 08:08:54 EDT 2006

Alicia Berciano Alba writes:
 > data, and I'm going to use the task FLAGR which, if i'm not mistaken,
 > you created.
 > I was reading very carefully the explanation file to understand the
 > possibilities of the different OPTYPE options,  but there is something
 > that confuse me and I would like to ask you.
 >
 > As far as I understand, in the options RFI and ANTENNA the rms, average
 > amplitude and average weight  are calculated for a particular
 > baseline/antenna, IF and polarization, but for the hole time range
 > (assuming TIMER=0).
 > So in the following paragraph of the explanation file:
 > If the number of correlators (1 IF with 1 polarization all antenna
 > pairs) that are bad divided by the total
 > number of correlators exceeds BPARM(1), then all data for that period
 > are "bad".

      be careful - FLAGR is still in the experimental stage and I
would be interested in the results you find with it.

 > what do you mean by "period"?  do you mean the time range chosen in
    TIMER?

     No - the data are averaged over a SOLINT integration period or
time range.  These are the samples the flagging sections see.  One
would never average over the full TIMERANGE unless you wanted to flag
no data or all data with no intermediate cases.  Some of the OPCODEs
compare the individual SOLINTs to the average of all SOLINTs and some
simply look at the current one alone.

Eric Greisen

 > Thanks in advance,
 > Alicia
 >
 > PD.- I also would like to thank you for create this task... otherwise I
 > would have to flag manually 5 years of data!!  :)

    We are using this task in data reduction pipelines.