[daip] Fwd: Remote use of AIPS

Jared Crossley jcrossle at nrao.edu
Tue Sep 26 12:59:20 EDT 2006

I sent the following AIPS question to Eric Greisen, but Lorant
suggested I send it to daip instead.

My latest attempt, as suggested by Lorant, is described at the bottom.

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Jared Crossley <jcrossle at nrao.edu>
> Date: September 26, 2006 10:08:56 MDT
> To: Eric Greisen <egreisen at nrao.edu>
> Subject: Remote use of AIPS
>
> Eric,
>
> Helpdesk has referred me to you.  I'm trying to run AIPS remotely on
> imager-b.aoc.nrao.edu with a local TV on my Mac laptop, named jhc.
>
> I can start an AIPS session just fine on jhc; the TV opens and
> everything.
>
> Then I ssh to imager-b.  I can open X-Windows apps on imager-b and
> display them on jhc.  However, when I start AIPS on imager-b, I get
> the following messages:
> ----
> START_AIPS: I am GUESSING you are at a workstation called jhc
> TVDEVS.SH: Remote TV assigned for TVHOST jhc  ***
> START_AIPS: Checking if jhc is reachable via ssh...
> START_AIPS: Cannot start remote TV servers on jhc, sorry!
> START_AIPS: remote command gave this error:
> ssh: jhc: Name or service not known
> START_AIPS: check your secure shell setup, in particular
> START_AIPS: whether you have a passphrase enabled.  You may
> START_AIPS: wish to try 'ssh -v jhc pwd' to see
> START_AIPS: what the problem is.
> START_AIPS: Starting TPMON daemons on IMAGER-B asynchronously...
> Starting up 31DEC06 AIPS with normal priority
> Begin the one true AIPS number 3 (release of 31DEC06) at priority =   0
> AIPS 1: ZDCHIN: NO NETSP ENTRY FOR DA01
> AIPS 1: THIS MEANS THE TIMDEST LIMIT IS SET TO VALUE IN SP FILE OR 14.0
> AIPS 3: You are not on a local TV device, welcome stranger
> AIPS 3: You are assigned TV device/server  15
> AIPS 3: You are assigned graphics device/server  15
> ----
> When I run 'ssh -v jhc pwd' from imager-b, I get:
> ----
> imager-b<2>% ssh -v jhc pwd
> OpenSSH_3.9p1, OpenSSL 0.9.7a Feb 19 2003
> debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
> debug1: Applying options for *
> ssh: jhc: Name or service not known
> ----
> Some issues that may be relevant:
> 1) jhc is my laptop, and is assigned an IP address by DHCP.
> 2) To ssh from imager-b to my laptop I use the following command, 'ssh
> jared at jhc.aoc-vis.nrao.edu'
> 3) My user name on my laptop is Not the same as my user name on the
> AOC network: "jared" on laptop; "jcrossle" on AOC computers.
>
> Regarding the instructions in the AIPS cookbook, p.12-14, jhc and
> imager-b have different byte orders.  I have set environment variable
> DISPLAY on imager-b to jhc.aoc-vis.nrao.edu:0 .  I have created file
> jhc:~jared/.rhosts with one line, 'imager-b.aoc.nrao.edu jcrossle'.
> The problem persists.
>
> Any advice is appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Jared

After talking to Lorant, I have setup ssh on my laptop to allow
no-password logins from jcrossle at imager-b to jared at jhc.aoc-vis.nrao.edu
.  However, when I start AIPS on imager-b, I get the same error
messages about the TV.