[daip] APCAL opacity difficulties.

Craig Walker cwalker at nrao.edu
Wed Sep 13 00:12:47 EDT 2006

I have run APCAL on a significant number of 43 GHz VLBA observations
lately and the opacity fitting has worked fine, with remarkably few if
any glitches.

I just tried to run it on a 43 GHz global observation from 1999 out of
the archive.  I am not trying to do a full calibration of this
observation - just a casual, VLBA only calibration to do a sanity check
on some amplitude issues.  The calibration tables do not have data for
the non-VLBA stations so I just want to ignore them.

First I copied the file, specifying only the VLBA antennas in ANTENNAS
and BASELINE.  That presumably did what I wanted, except that the AN
table still has all of the antennas and the antenna numbering was not
changed.  Normally this shouldn't be a problem.

Then I try to run APCAL.  I have tried many variations and have not yet
succeeded in getting a usable calibration of any antennas.  If I just
run with defaults, it dies because of missing GC information on the
first antenna - one of the global ones that has not been copied.

I then try being selective with lots of combinations of setting ANTENNAS
and DOFIT.  Some combinations appear to be doing fits, but they get Trec
of zero and an opacity of 0.201.  The plotted fits are really bad.
These happen, for example, if I select the antennas, set trecvr, set
opcode to 'grid' and ask for fits on all but the first of the listed
antennas.  The data are good and should be easy to fit.

If I try opcode 'opcr', it dies claiming whatever station it is doing
first has and unreasonable Trec and gives a value, which is actually
very reasonable.  Looking into the code, I think that means that the
Trec is higher than the measured Tsys's, which it is not.

So I tried not using ANTENNAS.  If I asked for a fit on the VLBA
antennas, I got the Trec=0, opacity=0.201 result.  If I try to just
force Trec and Tau0 by setting DOFIT=0 for the VLBA antennas (-1 for the
global antennas), it sort of looks like it is running.  But the plotted
opacity values are very high, approaching 1 in the middle of the day.
In fact, they peak just when the Tsys is lowest.

Something is very wrong.  I have been completely defeated in making any
sort of opacity correction to this data set.

I note that the elements of DOFIT apply to the antennas as listed in
ANTENNAS rather than as listed in the antenna table.  Other arrays, like
TRECVR and TAU0 are not specified.  I've assumed that they correspond to
the antenna table numbers but I could be wrong.  I'm wondering if there
is some internal bookkeeping confusion about which antenna's data is
being examined at various steps in the process.  For example, the
unreasonable Trec complaint might have a Tsysmax value from the wrong
antenna (I did not go that deep in looking at the code).

The data involved are on noatak disk 1, user 2438.
AIPS 1:    4 2438 GJ009-VLBA  .MULTI .    1 UV 12-SEP-2006 21:46:46

I have made a TASAV copy that might be easier to deal with (assuming you
don't really need the actual data).  That is
AIPS 1:    5 2438 GJ009-VLBA  .TASAV .    1 UV 12-SEP-2006 21:47:13

Cheers,

Craig

     R. Craig Walker            Array Operations Center
     cwalker at nrao.edu           National Radio Astronomy Observatory
     Phone  505 835 7247        P. O. Box O
     Fax    505 835 7027        Socorro NM 87801   USA