[daip] Workstation Advice

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Sun Sep 10 08:38:23 EDT 2006

Liz Humphreys writes:
 > We are looking to buy a new computer for AIPS processing
 > in which we'll be using IMAGR for cubes 8192 sq. x 512.
 >
 > We don't know whether it would be optimal to have more memory,
 > and slower processors, or vice-versa. Is it better to have
 > 4 GB RAM and faster FSB w/ 20% slower processor than the reverse?
 > (2 x 3 GHz dual core processors 1333 FSB rather than 2 x 3.7 GHz dual
 > processors 1066 FSB)

At present aips does not dircetly use a ton of memory but the disk I/O
system does use spare ram to buffer the I/O which will be your main
issue.  Faster buses and disks (SCSCI) will be most important.  In the
future, aips may make more use of ram but not for a while yet.

Beyonf that I have no strong opinion - Pat, Wes??