[daip] tv on iMac

Sara Beck sara at wise.tau.ac.il
Wed Nov 29 10:55:51 EST 2006

Dear Designated Aip,

I recently installed AIPS on an iMac with a 24-inch screen and got the
known shared memory failure id: invalid argument problems, so I edited
the rc file in /etc
to read  sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmax=10485760
            sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmin=1
            sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmni=32
            sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmseg=8
            sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmall=4096

as suggested by your FAQ. So now about half the time it works fine, the
other  half it gives the same shared memory failure message and doesn't
open the TV.  It is easily fixed by restarting the computer, but I am
wondering why it isn't working all the time, and what I can do to improve
it? I'm not going to fiddle with the shared memory unless I have some idea
what's going on.

Many thanks,

Sara Beck