[daip] Mac xas problem

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Nov 20 12:10:15 EST 2006

Wes Young writes:
 > Likely, Eric can provide the definitive answer, so you might hang on
 > for a couple of hours till he has a chance review the problem.
 >
 > wes
 > wyoung at aoc.nrao.edu
 >

 > On 20 Nov 2006, at 12:26, John Cannon wrote:
 >

 > > Does this mean that I have to configure my desktop AIPS
 > > installation as a laptop installation?  If so, are there different
 > > installation instructions for this?
 > >

>From the error messages I have seen in what you have sent, the problem
is that your machine does not recognize its own name as a proper
machine on the internet.  There have however been refences in some of
what I have seen referring to a computer server and some separate
machine.  With Macs that is often difficult since there is a tendency
to block connections rather substantially.  This means that I do not
understand what you are trying to do.

Assuming that you actually have one 1 machine, a Mac, and it does not
recognize its own name: You can try
            aips tv=local
which uses Unix sockets rather than Inet sockets.  You can change the
installation to "laptop" by
   a) Edit $AIPS_ROOT/LOGIN.SH and .CSH to set LAPTOP to YES.
   b) Edit $AIPS_ROOT/DA00/DADEVS.LIST and NETSP to create data areas
      named LOCALHOST (as many as you now have for your machine under
      its own name - which I forget so I will call it HOST)
   c) Make link file (directory) in
           cd $AIPS_ROOT/DA00
           ln -s HOST LOCALHOST
   d) Make link files to the data area(s) - if they are in
           cd $AIPS_ROOT/DATA
           ln -s HOST_1 LOCALHOST_1
           ln -s HOST_2 LOCALHOST_2
      etc.
Your machine should recognize localhost as itself although I have
encountered machines that could not do even that.  Note that by
setting this up with link files, you can switch between LOCALHOST and
HOST by the setting in the LOGIN.{C}SH files.

If uyou are trying to compute on a compute server and display on your
Mac desktop then things get harder.  In that case, you need a Mac
installation on the desktop.  Ther easiest thing to do is then to
start aips on the desktop (tv=local will not work for this).  Then
start aips on the server saying
        aips tv=HOST tvok
If the server reccognizes HOST this should work - but there might be
all sorts of firewalls against it.  I think that the desktop
installation can still be LAPTOP=YES for this.