[daip] [Fwd: AIPS Midnight Job?]

Patrick P Murphy pmurphy at nrao.edu
Tue Nov 14 09:18:58 EST 2006

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 07:09:48 -0700 (MST), amiodusz at nrao.edu said:

> Subject: AIPS Midnight Job?
> From:    "SUSAN BILL WIDER" <JunorWider at msn.com>
> Date:    Mon, November 13, 2006 7:34 pm
> To:      "Amy Mioduszewski" <amiodusz at nrao.edu>
> Cc:      "Bill Junor" <bjunor at lanl.gov>
>          JunorWider at msn.com

> Amy ... Is there some reason the Midnight Job isn't working?  I have a
> week or so worth of failed cron jobs because of connection time-outs to
> mnj.aoc.nrao.edu.  I pinged that address but get no responses.

Hi Amy, Bill, et al... jumping in from left field as I think I can help
a bit.

I just tried a cvs checkout from my web service provider
(shaka.dreamhost.com; they permit ssh/shell access) and it worked:

  pmurphy at shaka:~/tmp$ cvs checkout 31DEC06/DOC/TEXT/USERNO.LIS
  U 31DEC06/DOC/TEXT/USERNO.LIS
  pmurphy at shaka:~/tmp$

It's also possible to connect directly to the CVS port on the system:

  pmurphy at shaka:~/tmp$ telnet dave.aoc.nrao.edu 2401
  Trying 146.88.1.18...
  Connected to dave.aoc.nrao.edu.
  Escape character is '^]'.
  ^]

  telnet> Connection closed.
  pmurphy at shaka:~/tmp$

But I did notice that ping (ICMP) protocol packets are being filtered:

  PING dave.aoc.nrao.edu (146.88.1.18) 56(84) bytes of data.
  From aocrouter-int.aoc.nrao.edu (146.88.241.1) icmp_seq=4 Packet filtered

Hope this helps.  I know it probably doesn't :-} as all I'm really
saying is that it works for me.

 - Pat

--
 Patrick P. Murphy, Ph.D.   Senior Software Engineer, ALMA Computing IPT
 NRAO Computing Security Manager       Head, NRAO WebAdmin Working Group
                                    -- Thomas Jefferson, August 13, 1813