[daip] IM2UV Size Constraints

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Nov 8 16:27:38 EST 2006

landon at inaoep.mx writes:
 > Hello helpful people at NRAO,
 >
 > I am trying to FFT images to the UV plane with IM2UV. I first tried with a 3x3
 > (cell size 16x16 arcsec) image, but this did not work because its dimensions
 > were not powers of 2. I then interpolated the image to 32x32 pixels (cell size
 > 1x1 arcsec) and tried IM2UV again and recieved the MSGSRV output below:
 >
 > moli  > IM2UV1: UN-REG 15JAN96 TST: Cpu=    0.14  Real=********  IO=         0
 > moli  > IM2UV1: Task IM2UV  (release of 15JAN96) begins
 > moli  > IM2UV1: Create 13CO CH15   .IM2UV .   1 (UV)  on disk  1  cno  327
 > moli  > IM2UV1: MINIT: OP WRIT ERROR IN WIN,LX,LY=     1     2    64    16    64
 > moli  >             16
 > moli  > IM2UV1: PASS2: INIT ERROR      1 FILE DA01:SCD094001.013;
 > moli  > IM2UV1: Destroyed  1 extension files of type AN
 > moli  > IM2UV1: Destroyed UV image file: catno=    327 disk= 1
 > moli  > IM2UV1: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes
 > moli  > IM2UV1: UN-REG 15JAN96 TST: Cpu=    0.49  Real=********  IO=         0
 >
 > My BLC & TRC were both set to 0. I have also tried a 64x64 pixel image and
 > recieved a similar message.
 >
 > Is there a size constraint on input images in IM2UV?

I think it needs to be at least 64 and perhaps 128 on a side.  I have
fixed this problem in code that will be put in the 31DEC07 version of
AIPS.  Perhaps you could consider getting that version next year.
Note that we have binary installations and the like so that the
installation process is much easier than it was for the 15JAN96
version.  Lots of programs have become much better as well....