[daip] Re: Fortran Compiler for AIPS

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue May 23 10:04:53 EDT 2006

Walter Alef writes:
 > Hi Eric,
 >
 > Which version of the Intel Fortran compiler are you using for AIPS? We have in
 > mind to install it here, too, for local AIPS software.
 > --

dave<260>$ /opt/intel/fc/9.0/bin/ifort --version
ifort (IFORT) 9.0  20050430
Copyright (C) 1985-2005 Intel Corporation.  All rights reserved.

This may not be what they would sell you now.

Note that one must buy a license for your site and it will probably be
a one-computer license that allows the compilations and debugs etc to
be only on that computer although the load modules and run-time
libraries may be run anywhere.

We have encountered a problem with the Intel ifort when link editing -
not in our installation but in most others (and that includes another
installation of 9.0 but not ours of 8.0).  The link edit of aips needs
to end with two repeated libraries: APLSUB, APLLINUX, APLSUB, APLLINUX
to get all cross-refs in one-pass linkers.  The ifort drops the last
two from the list because they are a repetition and then the link
fails.  The work around is to create two dummy directories
cd $LIBR
ln -s ALLLINUX DUMLINUX
ln -s APLSUB DUMSUB
and then edit $SYSLOCAL LIBR.DAT to replace the 2nd set everywhere
with refs to these two.  A real nuisance and if we need to do this
much I will have to change install.pl etc which is a big nuisance or
worse.  In fact I may have to wait until 31DEC07 and do it before its
first release because of existing installations that would not have
these "libraries".

Cheers,

Eric