[daip] problem with my disk ?

Patrick P Murphy pmurphy at nrao.edu
Fri May 19 17:21:07 EDT 2006

Our apologies for not responding sooner.

On Mon, 1 May 2006 21:19:39 +0200, Anupreeta More
   <anupreeta at mpifr-bonn.mpg.de> said:

> Hello,
> I am using a disk that has FAT32 file system.
> is it possible to run AIPS on this disk successfully

I don't think so.  I'm assuming you are using either Linux or Mac OS/X
to run AIPS; in either case the answer will likely be the same.

AIPS assumes a certain level of functionality for the disks in it's I/O
operations.  I do not believe the FAT32 drivers for Linux or OS/X have
the needed support, but I could be wrong.  File locking almost certainly
won't work, and even certain file name characters (like the semicolon)
may not be permitted.

> 1) when I do recat  for eg:
> ZRENAM: DA01:UVD02J001.38Z;  DA01:UVD02I001.38Z;  IERR=7
> ZERROR: ON FILE DA01:UVD02J001.38Z;
> ZERROR: IN ZRENA2  ERRNO=1 (Operation not permitted)
> DISK 1 IN-CNO  91OUT - CNO 90 Renumbering problem

It's not allowing you to do a simple rename ("mv" in Unix shell terms)
of a file.

I would check that you have write permission to the disk.  Then I'd see
if the "mv" command works on your FAT32 partition, e.g.:

   cd /somewhere/on/your/FAT32/partition    # go to some directory
   touch MYTEST.000\;
   mv MYTEST.000\; MYTEST.001\;

I will not be surprised if one of these things does not work.

 - Pat (resident systems lurker on the daip list)

--
 Patrick P. Murphy, Ph.D.   Senior Software Engineer, ALMA Computing IPT
 NRAO Computing Security Manager       Head, NRAO WebAdmin Working Group
                                    -- Thomas Jefferson, August 13, 1813