[daip] question about aips

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed May 10 10:28:18 EDT 2006

Seyit Hocuk writes:
 > Hi you helped me before with questions about aips and if its not to much
 > to ask, I have anoter one.
 >
 > I got 2 image files and I use COMB to get a greyscale plot of the
 > spectral indices. When I have done this, I can view it with TVALL.
 > Is there a way to print out what i have got, what I see on the tv
 > screen. The task COMB has no such option to print fo a file/printer.
 > Maybe there is another task or perhaps some general task to print images.
 > (Another short question is that I have seen that it is possible to have
 > contours on the spectral index plot, do you know how)
 >
 > I have looked at the aips manual but couldnt find what i was searching for.

Chapter 6 of the CookBook is all about displays.  You can make a
printer version of the image with PRTIM.  Contours are done by many
tasks - the simplest is CNTR, but GREYS, PCNTR, and KNTR offer more
options.  In a current 31DEC06 the latter 2 even allow color contours
and all 3 allow grey scale as well as contour.  E.g. you could do one
of the two images in grey scale and the spectral index in contour or
vice versa.  The plots may go to the TV directly or to a file.  In the
latter case, LWPLA converts the plot file into a PostScript file which
may be save on disk or printed directly.