[daip] WSRT/AIPS

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon May 8 12:08:25 EDT 2006

Lawrence Rudnick writes:
 > Eric -  grad student Shea Brown and I are trying to reduce some
 > multisource Westerbork data in AIPS, with 8 IF bands of 64 channels
 > each.  We want to do the following:
 >
 > 1) run hanning smoothing on the spectra

    Task SPLAT with SMOOTH set (all other docals false) and
multi-source output will do the Hanning.

 > 2) select every other channel, post hanning, throw others away

    CHINC does not seem to be in SPLAT where it should be - there is
an option to average channels.  One would like what SPLIT has - which
has both average N channels and increment by CHINC (so average 1
increment 2 for you).  But SPLIT breaks all apart and you would have
to put them all back together with MULTI and DBCON.

    Are you running 31DEC06?   I think I will look at changing SPLAT.

    You could keep all channels for now unless the data sets are
really too large.  It might even help in the imaging.

 > 3) flag the remaining data for RFI

    Consider task FLAGR

 > 4) proceed with normal bandpass, etc, calibration

     Note that there are special things in SETJY effectively for WSRT
(equitorial telescopes w linear polarization).  If you lie to SETJY
and give a V flux for the cal (which is its linear polarization) then
you will correctly cal XX and YY.

Eric Greisen