[daip] AIPS on MAC OSX

Dr. Sylvie F. Beaulieu sbeaulieu at phy.ulaval.ca
Thu Mar 30 11:03:17 EST 2006

Quebec, 30.March.2006

Hello,

I just installed AIPS on a MAC OSX (Darwin version). The machine
is a "stand-alone" so I do not have to worry about multiple users
and a tapedrive.

Usually, on a Linux system (also "stand-alone") I install AIPS in
"root". Pat once told me that it is good practice to install AIPS
in a separate account like "aipsman" or "aipsmgr". So, for this
MAC, I did that.

On this machine there is three users: joncas, admin and aipsman.
When I start aips as the "user=joncas", all seems to start ok
(with the three windows TVSERVER, MSGSRV and TEKSRV) but I get
and error:

"FAILED to remove /Users/aipsman/AIPS/31DEC06/MACPPC/LOAD/TPMON1"

but aips starts anyway and I was able to read a disk file with
FILLM.

But then, I noticed that the messages that FILLM produces when
processing the file is dumped in the aips window, and not in the
AIPS MSGSRV window, as it should be.

I cannot find a way to create an "aipsman" group. I was told that
on a MAC, the file /etc/group is different than the one on a
Linux/Unix system e.g. when I looked at that file to see if I
could add my user "joncas" as a group member of aispman", there
was no entry either for "joncas" "admin" or "aispman". Maybe the
problem lies there i.e. the system is unable to relate joncas
and aipsman as group members.

So, is there a solution to these two problems? maybe there is
something missing in my installation.

Best regards,

-Sylvie.

        Astronome - Dr. Sylvie F. Beaulieu - Astronomer

Universite Laval                 Email : sbeaulieu at phy.ulaval.ca
Dept. de physique                Off.  : (418) 656-2131 ext: 2472
Pavillon Alexandre-Vachon        Sec   : (418) 656-2652
Quebec, (Quebec)                 Fax   : (418) 656-2040
Canada  G1K 7P4

http://www.astro.phy.ulaval.ca/~beaulieu/index2.html