[daip] IM2UV and UVMAP questions

AIPS en Tuktoyuk kyle at inaoep.mx
Mon Mar 27 17:16:21 EST 2006

good afternoon,

from the original interferometer UV data I created a dirty map with IMAGR
(niter=0), and the map looks like it should dirty.  Then using IM2UV I fourier
transformed the dirty map back to the UV plan.  The original UV data had a max
amplitude around 12Jy while the IM2UV version has a max amplitude around 1200Jy,
wow. Do you know why this happened?? Why 100X rather than another multiplication
factor??
I have done the same procedure for only a single uv-channel and the resulting
amplitudes in the UVPLOT are the same 100x larger with less visabilities due to
it only being 1 of the 128 uv-channels.

As per the image brightness: The original dirty map has a max of ~0.5899Jy/bm
and a total flux of ~0.069Jy.  When I use UVMAP on the IM2UV set to transform it
back to the image plane the image has a max of 0.969Jy/bm and a total flux of
2.00Jy.  this equals to the total flux being ~29X larger in the new map from
UVMAP.  I assume this is directly related to the increase in the different UV
data sets, true??

If I export the dirty maps to IDL and fourier transform to UV and then back to
the image plane I get the same image back with the same brightness' as the
original.  This is true for both the 6-channel cubes and a single channel image.
 Therefore this only seems to be a problem with AIPs.

Is this due to a normalization factor of the FFT and inverse FFT of AIPs?? Or is
it something else??

Thanks as always for your great help,
sincerely
Kyle Mede