[daip] AIPS Linux

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Mar 22 14:33:22 EST 2006

Murad Hamidouche writes:

 > > In $SYSLOCAL there are symbolic links to $AIPS_ROOT/START_AIPS call
 >
 > Great, that was it. It works now. Thanks.
 >

 > > aips and AIPS.  These will need to be changed.  If you want to run the
 > > MNJ, you may also need to change symbolic links in $TST/$ARCH/UPDATE.
 >
 > I don't have links there actually.
 >
 > > I do remind you that we have a new development version of aips 31DEC06
 > > with some interesting changes - see the AIPSLetters and other info
 > > from our home web page:
 > >         http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/aips/
 >
 > Okay thanks. Can one just upgrade or update the 31DEC2005 AIPS or needs to
 > install it again ?

To install 31DEC06 you must do a full installation - the MNJ uses cvs
which is too smart to allow simple renaming (we tried hard but it is
simpler to do a new installation).  Note that we now offer binary
installations which use "expensive" compilers that have better
performance than the free GNU compilers.  The binary installation is
particularly simple, esp when done on a system which already has an
earlier installation.  In any case, you should bring your 31DEC05
version up to date with the MNJ.