[daip] Re: Large experiments, VBGLU, etc.

Craig Walker cwalker at aoc.nrao.edu
Mon Mar 20 13:00:44 EST 2006

I agree with Jon that the burden on users, especially users who have
taken on the burden of a Global observation in the first place, is not
great.  Also I see very little realistic hope of getting other stations
to buy us playback units.  We've been trying that for quite a while
without so much as a nibble.  What I do worry about is the impact on
correlator operations as this means many previously 1 pass correlations
will become 3 pass correlations (or 2 in some special cases).  It is for
this reason that I see this only as a way to deal with a very small
number of projects.  If we can get to enough playbacks for HSA, then our
current work load suggests we are talking about approximately 1 project
a month on average - half globals, half RDV.  If that allows everyone to
dump tape completely, it sounds like a win to me.

Cheers.

Craig