[daip] Transferring Old Data to New AIPS Installation

Jonathan Mines mines at physics.technion.ac.il
Fri Mar 17 00:40:58 EST 2006

Eric,

With respect to question number 5:

 >   5. I already copied the contents of the old DATA folder to the new
 >      machine.  I get the impression that this is incorrect.  What
 >      should I do now -- delete it?  (This *should* be painless.)

       This may be correct or wrong - it depends on whether the two
machines are of the same architecture.  Note that Linux, VMS, and
Mac (intel cpu - not yet supported) are architectures that can share
data but they cannot share with the opposite byte-order machines,
namely Solaris and Mac PPC.  You did not tell me enough to answer this
question since you did not tell me the names of your machines, their
architecture, or the versions of aips involved.

The "old" machine had a Pentium 4, and was running Mandrakelinux 10.0
and the latest version of AIPS available as of the middle of December
2004.  The "new" machine has an AMD Athlon, and is running the exact
same version of Linux and the 31Dec05 version of AIPS.

Thank you.

Jonathan