[daip] Transfering Old Data to New AIPS Installation

Jonathan Mines mines at physics.technion.ac.il
Wed Mar 15 00:40:57 EST 2006

Good Morning,

I would like to transfer a large quantity of AIPS data (from an old
installation, obviously) to a new computer and a new AIPS installation.
I thought I had done this, however, it seems that I made one or more
mistakes.

   1. Are the below instructions applicable for my situation?
   2. I don't have a directory called anything like $AIPS_ROOT,
      nonetheless, I edited HOSTS.LIST.  It consists of a file within
      the main AIPS directory.  Question:  What should I call the new
      host?  Does it matter?
   3. In the $DA00/ directory, there is a folder which has the default
      name "LOCALHOST".  Do I need to change this?  Is this the "hostname"?
   4. Where should I set up a template area |$AIPS_VERSION/$ARCH/TEMPLATE/|?
   5. I already copied the contents of the old DATA folder to the new
      machine.  I get the impression that this is incorrect.  What
      should I do now -- delete it?  (This *should* be painless.)
   6. In the new installation, for some reason I do not need to type
      LOGIN.SH to start AIPS.  What does this mean?  Is this a problem
      with respect to the instructions below?

Note:  I have worked with Linux before, but I am not particularly adept
at using Linux outside of specific software and some basic things.  In
other words, I an not a network administrator.  Please make it as simple
and explicit as possible.  Sorry for my ignorance.  Thank you for your
assistance.

*How do I configure a new AIPS host machine?*

        * Follow these instructions /only/ is the new machine is the
          same architecture as one or more already in use. Otherwise see
          the next section.
        * Move to your |$AIPS_ROOT| area, edit |HOSTS.LIST| and add the
          new host.
        * Make sure you have already set up a template area
          |$AIPS_VERSION/$ARCH/TEMPLATE/|; if not create it and copy the
          contents of |$DA00/| to it.
        *  From the Unix command line, type |SYSETUP WOOHOO| where you
          substitute the appropriate hostname for |WOOHOO|. You will
          need to have already called |LOGIN.CSH| or |LOGIN.SH|.

Regards,

Jonathan Mines