[daip] Re: Trying to build AIPS 31DEC05 for linux

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Mar 13 15:48:27 EST 2006

Kelley McDonald writes:

 > I have been having the following error crop up when trying
 > to build INSTEP2
 >

 > /apps2/linux-apps/aips/31DEC05/SYSTEM/UNIX/MAKEAT: line 1: PRINTENV: command not
 > found
 > MAKEAT    : Cannot find env. variable for
 > /apps2/linux-apps/aips/31DEC05/AIPS/SUB

Is the a re-installation over a previous version of aips?

I suspect that the current host name is not appearing in the
HOSTS.LIST file in the $AIPS_ROOT area.  If, for example, you are now
calling the machine a "laptop" then the current host name is LOCALHOST
which must appear in HOSTS.LIST.  PRINTENV is a command in $SYSLOCAL -
if there is some confusion over $SITE then it may not be found
($SYSLOCAL is usually on linux $SYSLINUX/$SITE).  install.pl uses its
own idea of things for a while but when instep2 starts it invokes
$AIPS_ROOT/LOGIN.SH which requires that the HOSTS.LIST file be right.

I suspect that this may be an adequate clue.