[daip] no g77 in Fedora Core 4

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Fri Mar 10 14:03:33 EST 2006

Fan Liu writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > I failed today, when I was trying to install AIPS 31DEC05 on an Fedora
 > Core 4 system, because there's no fortran compiler named '/usr/bin/g77'
 > in fc4 ditribution.  I tried to change it to '/usr/bin/gfortran', but
 > still it didn't work, ended in INSTEP2.
 >
 >  Do I have to install g77 compiler?
 >
 > Best regards,
 > Fan Liu

AIPS is lnown not to work with version 4.0 of gfortran.  We have not
yet tested 4.1.

I would recommend doing a binary installation

perl install.pl -n

which will get you load modules compiled with the Intel compiler.  On
PIV chips this results in a 30-50% improvement in performance.  On AMD
chips the improvement is rather less but still Intel is better by 7%
or so.