[daip] Re: Question about DELZN

Leonia Kogan lkogan at nrao.edu
Mon Mar 6 10:46:43 EST 2006

Hi Richard,

I have carried out the test using multisource data of Mark Reid. (the
same data I have used always for the DELZN's test..
I selected only one source at this test to see if the DELZN works with
only one calibrator.

The result of the test says that DELZN WORKS WITH ONLY ONE CALIBRATOR!!

But the coefficients of the fitted polynomial are very different in
comparison of multy calibrator test.

There are two reason of this.

1.the solution can be differentely redistributed between the antanna,
reference antenna and between atmosphere and clock residual.

2. The argument (time) of the fitted polynomial is the current time
minus the center of  of the observation. of the
     calibrators. This center can be very different depending on the
selected set of calibrators.
     But when I used the different found polinomials for the case of all
calibrators and the one calibrator to restore
     ATM_ant - ATM_ref (for different elevation)  (which are the actual
data, I got an excelent coincident.
     I used DELZN to fit only ATM or to fit ATM+CLOCK and always
obtained the good coincident  of
     the fitted polinomyal presentation of the data and the data themself..

So  DELZN works correctely with one and many calibrators.

You concern about 'stability' of DELZN. I am sure DELZN (and the test
confirms that) shows the 'stability'.

I hope the items 1, 2 clarify the issue.

I have looked at your plots and see that the elevation differences are
less than 15 degrees. May be it is too small.

LK