[daip] Re: Question about DELZN

Leonia Kogan lkogan at nrao.edu
Wed Mar 1 12:49:30 EST 2006

Dear Richard,

Let me explain you  what and how DELZN is doing.

Lets note that VAL_IANT -VAL_RANT are the values picked up from the SN
table as a function of time.
It can be multi band delay phase or ....
It is always supposed that the VALs are residuals.

THE MAIN POSSIBLE ERRORS (such a geometry, initial model of the
atmosphere and clocks and....)  ARE COMPENSATED DURING CORRELATION.
THEREFORE  WE CAN CONSIDER THE VALs INCLUDES ONLY THE EFFECT OF THE
UNCOMPENSATED
ATMOSPHERE AND CLOCKS.

Additionally  DELZN considers that the atmosphere behaviour is described
as the function of senith angle elevation through
the mapping function as COSEC.
The SN table VALs are the difference of  antenna ANT and reference
antenna RANT. For simplicity lets consider that the reference antenna is
constant during the whole experiment although DELZN can handle the case
of  many antennas served as a reference one.

Therefore the the SN table values can be described by the following
equation:

VAL_IANT) - VAL_RANT = ZENATM_IANT(time) *MAPFUNC(el)+
CLOCK_IANT(time)        (1)
                                                -ZENATM_RANT(time)
*MAPFUNC(el)
DELZN fits polynomials to the   ZENATM_IANT,  ZENATM_RANT    and
CLOCK_IANT

Actually CLOCK_IANT = CLOCK_IANT - CLOCK_RANT

So (for example) if the third order of polynomial (a*t+b*t^2+c) is used
for both  ZENATM_IANT and  CLOCK_IANT
then 6 (six) parameters should be fitted for each antenna. 3 for atm and
3 for clocks
You wrote:

>  I believe there are 5 parameters to be fitted per antenna (for 3rd
>  order polynomial for tau_a) (20 for VERA)

I do not know why 5 and what is it (20 for VERA)?

I want to ephasize again that the polynomials are fitted (for each antenna including the reference one(not the reference ant clocks)) into the zenith atmosphere, and clocks as
functions of time.
The equation 1 (this message) can help. Of cource you can still ask me a question.
Now what is plotted by DELZN?. Having received many questions about that I clarified it
 ( I hope) at the help file (APARM(1)).

I hope this message will help. For any case I repeat the most important
statement:

THE MAIN POSSIBLE ERRORS (such a geometry, initial model of the
atmosphere and clocks and....)  ARE COMPENSATED DURING CORRELATION.
THEREFORE  WE CAN CONSIDER THE VALs INCLUDES ONLY THE EFFECT OF THE
UNCOMPENSATED
ATMOSPHERE AND CLOCKS.
This is true for the VLBA correlator and may not !! be true for other
correlator

Leonid Kogan