[daip] Question about AIPS TV issues

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Jun 27 10:42:09 EDT 2006

Preethi Pratap writes:

 > We are having some problems with an AIPS TV installation. The TV is very
 > sluggish and slow to respond. When verbs such as "tvwindow" are run, the
 > cursor gets very slow and jerky.
 >
 > The AIPS installation that this is happening on is the 31DEC06 version,
 > installed on a linux Red Hat Enterprise v.4, running the gcc v.3.4.5
 > compiler and the 2.6.4-34 kernel. Our installations of older AIPS
 > versions do not have this problem.

we are having similar problems with RedHat enterprise.  They are
particularly bad on older systems but even my new fast computer
occasionally goes nearlky catatonic while trying to do X-Windows
things esp the AIPS TV.  We have found that tv=local on the command
line helps (unix sockets seem faster than internet), but our systems
people are still trying to find what is wrong.  Occasionally a build
of the OS seems better but when they repeat it, it seems the same
again.

I keep hoping some cure will be found.

Note that if you fill 2 xterms with text and then grab one and move it
around in front of the other, you will see that the background xterm
is very sluggish updating the text in the window.  It is X-Windows and
interupts etc that are interacting - but as usual AIPS triggers the
issues worse than most things.