[daip] modification to WTMOD

Andy Biggs adb at roe.ac.uk
Fri Jun 23 09:48:58 EDT 2006

Hi there. I was wondering whether it would be possible to modify WTMOD. I
would like to give it a number *per antenna* which could then be used as a
multiplier for the existing weights to that antenna. At the moment the
multiplier is single valued i.e. the weights on each baseline are scaled
identically. Perhaps the ANTWT array could be viewed as containing either
absolute weights or scaling factors, which being dependent on some other
parameter.

At the minute, the standard MERLIN data reduction path makes no attempt to
calibrate the relative antenna weights based on initial gross amplitude
corrections from a flux calibrator. Instead, WTMOD is used to insert
nominal values for each antenna's weight, after calibration (i.e. just
before mapping). This however loses weight info which has been gleaned
during amplitude calibration using the phase reference source; data at low
elevation, for example. If instead the nominal weights could be used as
multipliers, then this useful information could be retained.

Cheers,

Andy