[daip] [HelpDesk #19384] Using AIPS remotely

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Jun 19 11:03:13 EDT 2006

Please use daip at nrao.edu for aips questions.

 > > From helpdesk at aoc.nrao.edu  Sun Jun 18 21:53:49 2006
 > >
 > > >From: Adam Ginsburg <keflavich at gmail.com>
 > > >To: helpdesk at aoc.nrao.edu
 > > >Subject: Using AIPS remotely
 > >
 > > I'm trying to run AIPS remotely, from a desktop on NM Tech campus but
 > > not at the AOC.  From the cookbook section 12.4, I think I should be
 > > able to do that, but I've run into a few problems.  First, I tried
 > > SSH-ing into my computer and running "aips tv=local", but that gives me
 > > this error:

     I need a bit more information here.  You sat SSH-ing into "my"
computer.  What computer is that?  A computer at the NRAO that can run
AIPS when you are sitting in front of it?  The aips tv=local starts
an XAS server on that computer (assuming it is a real aips computer)
with Unix sockets and then must open a display window on your computer
addressed by the $DISPLAY variable.  It appears that your computer at
Tech is refusing the connection or that the $DISPLAY variable is not
set.

In fact the message about sum-ginsburg below suggests to me that you
are trying something on machines that do not run aips at all.  At
least I do not know that name.

 > > XAS: cannot connect to X server :0
 > > UNIXSERVERS: Start message server MSSRV1 on sum-ginsburg, display :0
 > > Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
 > > Xlib: No protocol specified
 > >
 > > xterm Xt error: Can't open display: :0
 > > Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
 > > Xlib: No protocol specified
 > >
 > > xterm Xt error: Can't open display: :0
 > >

 > > (I'm running the latest Fedora Core linux)
 > >
 > > Then, I tried to install AIPS on my computer.  The whole of the install
 > > was successful, except the important part: the XAS install failed, and I
 > > can't find either a log of why it failed or any way to attempt to
 > > reinstall just that component.
 > >
 > > What do you recommend?  Do you need more information?

The failure of XAS was displayed during the installation.  I am
assuming that you were compiling AIPS locally on your machine.  I
actually now recommend that you do not do that but do a binary
installation.  To do the binary

      perl install.pl -n

where the -n does the binary instead of local compile version.

To check your XAS failure:

cd $AIPS_ROOT
source LOGIN.CSH    (or . LOGIN.SH for bash)
$CDTST
cd $YSERV/XAS
make