[daip] Free Linux platform for AIPS?

Patrick P Murphy pmurphy at nrao.edu
Mon Jul 31 14:57:46 EDT 2006

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 16:18:21 -0600, Wes Young <wyoung at nrao.edu> said:

> On Jul 30, 2006, at 2:33 PM, Eric Greisen wrote:

>> Buckner M Creel V writes:

>>> My name is Buckner Creel; I'm a graduate student at the University
>>> of New Mexico. I plan to install AIPS on a computer in our
>>> department. I used to have AIPS running on a Redhat Linux machine,
>>> but it died, and I am looking for a free Linux operating system. Is
>>> there a good one out there that can handle AIPS?

>> So far as I know all Linux systems can handle AIPS esp with the
>> binary installation that we now offer.

>> Perhaps one of our systems experts (lurking on this thread) can
>> advise on Linux systems that are inexpensive or free.

> I believe debian, scientific linux or ubuntu should suffice, all are
> freely available.  Google them and make your choice.  All three are
> reasonably well received.

I second what Wes said.  I've personally made my laptop dual-boot to Red
Hat Enterprise Linux (what NRAO provides) and Ubuntu, and I verified
that AIPS runs fine on the latter.  Ubuntu is particularly good in terms
of ease of use, and is based on Debian.

 - Pat (formerly in the AIPS group, now just a lurker on the daip list)

--
 Patrick P. Murphy, Ph.D.   Senior Software Engineer, ALMA Computing IPT
 NRAO Computing Security Manager       Head, NRAO WebAdmin Working Group
                                    -- Thomas Jefferson, August 13, 1813