[daip] Problems installing 31DEC06 on a Mac PPC

Josh Winn jwinn at space.mit.edu
Wed Jul 26 14:31:13 EDT 2006

Dear AIPS:

I am having trouble getting the AIPS TV to work on my Mac PPC.
The error message is:

Shared memory id failure: Invalid argument

which I understand from the AIPSMGR FAQ
should be fixable by changing the appropriate
line in /etc/rc, namely,

sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmax=16777216
sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmin=1
sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmni=32
sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmseg=8
sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmall=4096

I am using a dual screen setup, with effective size 3830 by 1100.
The FAQ says that 4*3830*1100 = 16.85 Mb is needed,
which is probably why I am getting  an error message.
On the other hand, when I try doubling .shmmax,
I get another error that the shared memory cannot be allocated.

Can you please suggest a fix or a workaround?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Josh Winn