[daip] Re: problems with OMFIT

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Jan 16 17:58:57 EST 2006

Simona Toscano writes:

 > I'm a PhD student in Catania University (Italy) and I'm working with
 > VLBA datas of the Active Binary Sistem HR1099. I have reduced all the
 > datas and now I'm trying to fit visibilities datas with a gaussian using
 > the new task OMFIT in AIPS.
 > I have some problems 'cause I tryed to use it and it doesn't work. So,
 > at last, I tryed to use the minimal input file suggested in the explain
 > of this task, but it doesn't work anyway!
 > Could you help me? I send you all my settings.

My first inclination was simply to tell you that OMFIT is not known to
work.  But I tried to debug it instead.  I have found really bad
coding that reuses in part variables that should not be reused etc.
As a consequence, I see no way in which the program can accept inputs.
I guess my first inclination was correct.

You could consider UVFIT which we do support, imaging with IMAGR
followed by IMFIT or JMFIT, or you could use the excellent
interactive fitting in the difmap package.

Ketan attempted to put all of AIPS inside OMFOT but apparently
neglected to get the basic modes working.