[daip] question about aips

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Jan 16 13:06:52 EST 2006

Seyit Hocuk writes:
 > Hi, I have a simple question about printing in aips. I think I have an
 > 2001 version of aips and useing it at the university. Whenever i print
 > out stuff I get many pages with only a few lines. Like printing a 'scan'
 > with LISTR.
 > Is there an option where i can say that i want to fill the page up
 > before using a new page. And perhaps is there a possibility to print
 > landscape. I couldnt find anywhere to do this and our local experts also
 > had no answer.

The portrait versus landscape is set by the parameter number of lines
on a printer page.  Portrait is done when the number of lines is > 61
and the standard number is then 97.  If the number is between 61 and
54 one size of landscape is done, smaller numbers do still larger
print.  The program to run (outside of AIPS) is SETPAR

cd $AIPS_ROOT
source LOGIN.CSH    (or . LOGIN.SH for bash)
$CDTST
RUN SETPAR
2              (change parameters)
4              (# lines)
61             for landscape
-1             return
AMANAGER       password
4              exit

As to the LISTR output, it depends on what you have asked for and what
is in your data.  If you are displaying all baselines and there is
only one scan average, then the display will do many pages each of
only a few lines.  Use DOCRT=1 to view the display first on your xterm
to see if you are getting what you want.  (Make the xterm really wide
so it can hold 132 characters across to get the same display as will
come out on paper.)