[daip] PRTIM questions

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Tue Feb 21 11:59:21 EST 2006

AIPS en Tuktoyuk writes:

 > I am using PRTIM to export final cleaned maps to .txt files which can then be
 > plotted in IDL.  The reason for ploting them in IDL is to be able to plot
 > multiple maps ontop of one another for comparison.
 >
 > I was wondering:
 >
 > 1- what are the intensity values A,B,C,D,E mean and can i change them to
 > numbers??

     This tells me that you are using NDIG=1 in PRTIM.  That will not
give you particularly accurate images from which to work.  The numbers
A through J represent -1 through -10, T is +10. - and + are values
below -10 and above +10 resp.  You could use NDIG=2 or 3 or 4 for a
more accurate representation.

 > 2- is this the best AIPs task for exporting a map to be plotted using by IDL?

This is the only one that makes a text file.  FITTP makes a FITS file
and some IDL implementations can read FITS files.

But I do not believe that you need to do this.  AIPS can make
PostScript files on selected arcsec/mm (ASPMM) scales and the plots
then overlayed quite successfully.  Tasks like KNTR and GREYS and PCNTR
all allow overlaying of grey-scale and contour images.  PCNTR will
take a data cube and make color contours of selected planes on top of
each other.