[daip] Re: LTO-3 (400GB) drives.

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Feb 16 15:37:56 EST 2006

>  We would like to purchase an LTO-3 (400GB) tape drive,
>  to store some of our large data sets.
>  Are these drives supportable or will be supportable w/ AIPS?
>  Lincoln and Lynn Matthews  have to consider sharing of tapes
>  w/ a collaborator (Claire Chandler). Do you have a LTO-3
>  in Socorro? If not, are you possibly planning to get one?

I do not know if anyone in the aips community has one and am
unfamiliar with the concept.  One cannot ever guarantee anything when
it comes to tapes drive devices.  We have had pretty good luck with
some of the more modern ones running without complaint, but ....

Our system manager says:

    I have absolutely no idea.   We don't have any of these nor
do I know anyone who has one.

    I'd assume they'd work if there are Linux drivers for them (or if
they behave like generic scsi tape devices).

Perhaps Pat Murphy will know something (and he lurks on daip).