[daip] SNSMO

Lynn D. Matthews lmatthew at cfa.harvard.edu
Mon Feb 13 15:30:52 EST 2006

	Amy,

What you say makes sense, and I agree that for a 6 hour smoothing time the
rates should not all have the same values. What worried me specifically
about the 6-hour smooth were the following:

- Last scan for each antenna has a single rate value for all points
  within the scan (and also scan 2 for KP)

- "Slopes" appear across the rate values for a number of scans, while for
   within other scans the points don't have a coherent behavior.

Perhaps my intuition is off because of the effects of the data weights,
but some of these "slopes" don't seem quite right. For example, the fourth
scan of HN slopes up to the right, even though the points within that scan
were originally "random" and the two scans to the right have lower, not
higher mean rates.

Another example: for MK, the first two scans develop slopes in the same
direction (direction of decreasing rates), but a similar trend is not seen
for SC (which also shows a rate decrease with time).

Lynn