[daip] SPLAT vs. single-source multi-source UV databases

Walter Brisken wbrisken at aoc.nrao.edu
Tue Feb 14 00:36:29 EST 2006

Hello DAIP,

Is it legal to have a multi-source UV database containing only one source?
It appears that SPLAT won't accomodate this ironic request.  The reason
this is somewhat annoying is that in my pulsar pipeline there is sometimes
one and sometimes more than one source being SPLAT out of an original UV
database.  According to the SPLAT INP page, APARM(7)=0 will produce a
multi-source database, but in practice it does not in the case that a
single SOURCE is selected.  This has at least three implications for my
pipeline: 1. the output name, which becomes SOURCE(1) rather than OUTNAME;
2. the propagation of certain tables (IM, CQ, IN, SU, ...), some of which
I expect downstream; and 3. the application of CL tables copied from the
in-beam calibrator.  For now I can work around this by using SOURCE='*'',
but this is not really a great compromise.  Production of a true
multi-source UV database containing the single source would be better.
Equally good would be a true multi-source file but with no visibilities
except for the requested source (ie maintain the SU table entries for all
sources).  Perhaps the best comprimise would be for APARM(7)<0 to force
multi-source even for a single requested source.

Thanks!

-W

(BTW -- thanks for the CQ table propagation that was recently added.  So
far it looks good.  My pipeline now relies on this.)