[daip] AIPS install on network NFS server

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Dec 21 15:53:00 EST 2006

Sam Leathers writes:

 > /usr/astro is export readonly to all UNIX machine
 >
 > aips is installed in the path /usr/astro/aips
 >
 > currently I have RIPPLE and PLERION setup as my machines in HOSTS.LIST
 > (How do I add a machine after installation)

http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/aips/aipsmgr/index.html says

 Common questions concerning configurations

How do I configure a new AIPS host machine?

        * Follow these instructions only is the new machine is the
same architecture as one or more already in use. Otherwise see the
next section.
        * Move to your $AIPS_ROOT area, edit HOSTS.LIST and add the
new host.
        * Make sure you have already set up a template area
$AIPS_VERSION/$ARCH/TEMPLATE/; if not create it and copy the contents
of $DA00/ to it.
        * From the Unix command line, type SYSETUP WOOHOO where you
substitute the appropriate hostname for WOOHOO. You will need to have
already called LOGIN.CSH or LOGIN.SH.

How do I configure a new AIPS architecture?

        * If you have a new computer of a different architecture than
the architecture already installed, then you will need to do another
more or less full installation.
        * In your home area, mv ~/.AIPSRC ~/.AIPSRC.oldarch to get rid
of the old architecture's compiler, site name, and other settings.
        * Move to your $AIPS_ROOT area, edit HOSTS.LIST and add the
new host, choosing the new architecture. You must also choose a new
site name if the new architecture is not compatible with the old in
its binary format. Thus, Linux on Intel chips is little-endian and
needs to be separated from Solaris and Mac OS/X which are big-endian.
        * Then run install.pl. You have already unpacked the tar ball.
Answer with the new host name, architecture, site name, and the
correct compiler and other advanced information. See the installation
instructions for more detail.
        * Note that all this assumes that the multiple architectures
all mount the same AIPS directory tree. This is very convenient for
maintenance and to allow one to talk to the TV displays on another
(data cannot be shared between dissimilar architectures).

How do I configure new AIPS data areas?

        * Move to your $AIPS_ROOT/NET0 area. Edit DADEVS.LIST and add
the new data areas. Note that these areas must have the name of the
host (in upper case) which is to use the areas, such as
/home/AIPS/DATA/WOOHOO_1 where /home/AIPS is $AIPS_ROOT and the file
/home/AIPS/DATA/WOOHOO_1 is a link to the actual data area on host
woohoo.
        * If you are supporting conflicting architectures, such as
LINUX and SOLARIS which cannot share data due to their opposite byte
orders, you must use different $SITE names for the separate
architectures. DADEVS.LIST then becomes DADEVS.LIST.$SITE with
separate disk area lists for each architecture.
        * Disk areas in all DADEVS.LIST files in the $NET0 directory
should also appear in the file NETSP using the identical name and
specifying the TIMDEST limit in days and the list of allowed user
numbers (or 8 0's to allow all users).
        * The data area itself needs to have only one AIPS file before
it may be used. That file is called SPACE and can be a 0-byte file
with write privilege for anyone supposed to use that data area. It may
be created with the command "touch SPACE"

 > The server exporting /usr/astro only has nfs and ssh daemon running.
 > We'd like to keep it this way. Does this server need to have the tv
 > server I read about it installed on it? Is there some way around doing this?

    Our server machine does not run aips - it is not required.  So
long as all aips computers can mount the aips directories and run the
software found thereon, you are golden.

    Note that mixing types of computers gets tricky.  We do have both
Solaris and Linux machines (opposite byte order) using the same single
copy of aips (but two copies in the directory tree of the binaries -
one under version/LINUX and the other under version/SUL).  We do have
to have two SITE names and two DADEVS files (DADEVS.LIST for site
NRAOAOC for solaris and DADEVS.LIST.COAOARN for site COAOARN for
Linux).  We could also have MACPPC sharing the site NRAOAOC and MACINT
sharing the COAOARN sonce these can share data files of the same byte
order.

 > I like your idea about symlinking the DA00/$MACHINE to the local
 > machine, and then putting all the DATA directories in the DADEVS.LIST.
 > I'll try that out.

    NFS file locking does not work well - so it is best that the files
be kept on the machine locking them if at all possible.  Otherwise
mysterious locks appear on files at times that seem not to go away
even when the machine is rebooted.