[daip] AIPS question

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon Dec 18 12:26:51 EST 2006

Marla Geha writes:
 > Hi Eric-
 >
 > I have recently installed AIPS on my Mac desktop.  The installation was
 > successful and I am able to run AIPS without an (obvious) errors.
 > However, I am unable to see my data files which I have downloaded from
 > the VLA archives.  The data files are in the correct directory
 > ($AIPS_ROOT/DATA/LOCALHOST_1), but when I run the task 'catalog' or
 > 'u/mcat', I do not see the files.
 >
 > I have checked that then permission on my datafile is read/write by all
 > users, and that disk 1 is correctly defined.  The data file is named
 > 'AG736_1'.  Is there a special formatted name so that AIPS can recognize
 > data files?

    What you have not checked is all of the information we provide
about how to run and use AIPS.  I recommend the CookBook which is
available via the web
          http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/aips/cook.html
and also at your site:
          $AIPS_ROOT/TEXT/PUBL/
files COOKn.PS for each of chapters n and file COOKBOOK.PDF which is a
full CookBook in cross-linked pdf format.

Chapters 2 and 3 tell you all sorts of basics.  Chapter 4 is about
calibration and starts with how one reads in data.  The VLA archive
format is a special format that has to be translated with task FILLM.
You should put the archive data in your own area or the $FITS area
rather than the basic data area.  Then the adverb INFILE is set (e.g.
for the fits area)  INFILE='FITS:AG736_'.

 > If I have sent this to you in error, could please forward this message
 > to the correct person to answer this question?

We prefer for you to use daip at nrao.edu, although I answer most of them
too.