[daip] aips installation

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Thu Dec 14 15:24:28 EST 2006

achung at astro.umass.edu writes:

 > I started over again after having downloaded the source and it didn't
 > complain this time. But it wouldn't start, showing the following
message,

        What did you do?  The binary install with -n or a local
compile with the 88 Mbyte tar ball and some local compiler?  The
binary installation downloads all the source as well as the binaries.

 > START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the
 > START_AIPS:  - system name , AIPS type
 >
 > START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
 >   (Using private file /home/achung/.dadevs for DADEVS.PL)
 >                   $AIPS_ROOT/DATA/LOCALHOST_1 is currently unavailable.
 >                   $AIPS_ROOT/DATA/LOCALHOST_2 is currently unavailable.
 >                   $AIPS_ROOT/DATA/LOCALHOST_3 is currently unavailable.
 >                   $AIPS_ROOT/DATA/LOCALHOST_4 is currently unavailable.
 >                   $AIPS_ROOT/DATA/LOCALHOST_5 is currently unavailable.

The startup proc tries to look at a 0-byte file names SPACE in each
data area.  You must have read-write privilege on the file.  If they
are not there you can say
     touch SPACE
to create them.

Eric Greisen