[daip] AIPS help

Matthew Sharp sharp at seek.uchicago.edu
Fri Dec 1 14:55:48 EST 2006

Dear Designated AIP,

   I have many pleas: I'm trying to work through the calibration process
following chapter four of the AIPS cookbook, but I'm finding many points of
confusion.

   For the moment: I've managed to load my data, I found with LISTR that
several antennas had very large RMS/low amplitude, and so I used UVFLG to
flag these antennas in the proper time range.  Judging from the message
window, everything is working so far...

   Following blindly the cookbook, I arrive at 4.4.2, wherein EDITA is
explained as a tool for flagging on system temperature.  I start with
"default edita", and then enter the adverbs given in the cookbook.  on "GO",
my TV comes alive, with a panel for each antenna I've requested.  The
day/times listed at the bottom seem to bracket my entire dataset.

   Everything looks great, but each panel displays four horizontal lines, at
levels in the 25-40 K range.  ie, the Tsys reported is perfectly constant
over my 9 hour track.

   What could I have done wrong to break my Tsys like this?

   Is this the kind of question the designated AIP is intended to address,
or have I in fact come to the wrong place?

many thanks!

Matthew