[daip] no AIPS TV on my Mac

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Wed Aug 23 13:14:32 EDT 2006

Hector G. Arce writes:
 > Hi Eric,
 >    Thanks for the quick reply.
 > Below I include what AIPS shows when I start it by doing "aips
 > tv=local". Your help will be very appreciated.
 >
 > UNIXSERVERS: Start TV LOCK daemon TVSRV1 on chorro
 > UNIXSERVERS: Start XAS1 on chorro, DISPLAY :0.0
 > TVSERVER: Starting AIPS TV locking, Unix (local) domain
 > XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
 > XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
 > XAS: Using screen width height 1670 950, max grey level 255
 > Shared memory id failure: Invalid argument

     This is discussed on the aips web site:
       http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/aips/aipsmgr/

     You need to change the system file to allow large shared memory
segments:

If you see this on a Mac, congratulations; you have one of the larger
display screens. The default Mac system limits shared memory pages to
4 Mbytes. When XAS starts it tells you that it is making a screen x
pixels by y pixels. The memory you will need is at least  4 x y
bytes. For the new large screens this is more than 8 Mbytes. On 10.3
and 10.4 systems, you can change this limit by changing (as root or
admin) the rc file in /etc, adjusting the kern.sysv.shm* line to

         #Setting the shared memory to something a bit more reasonable.
            sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmax=10485760
            sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmin=1
            sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmni=32
            sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmseg=8
            sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmall=4096

If you are really lucky and have a 30-inch screen (2550 by 1500
pixels) then you will have to make the shmmax line even larger

            sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmax=16777216

 > ZVTPO3: tcp/aipsmt0 is not a service
 > ZVTPO3: check /etc/services or NIS map!

The instructions to change your /etc/services file are often
overlooked. The Inet versions of XAS with its TVSERV lock daemon,
MSGSRV, and TEKSRV all require that predictable node numbers be
reserved for them. The remote tape services also require these and do
not offer a UNIX (non-network socket) option. In both cases, if you
need to communicate between two computers (or more), the following
must be installed in your /etc/services (or YP services):

sssin           5000/tcp        SSSIN      # AIPS TV server
ssslock         5002/tcp        SSSLOCK    # AIPS TV Lock
msgserv         5008/tcp        MSGSERV    # AIPS Message Server
tekserv         5009/tcp        TEKSERV    # AIPS TekServer
aipsmt0         5010/tcp        AIPSMT0    # AIPS remote FITS disk

I suspect that you have done most of this but not the last line
which will get rid of this annoying message.

Eric Greisen